Tuesday, May 8, 2007

25. If wired right, computers do belong in classrooms

LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-schoolme16apr16,1,5262663.column?coll=la-news-learning&ctrack=1&cset=true

It is discouraging to think that schools are spending hundreds of dollars on software which has been incessantly utilized in the classroom and recently proven to be ineffective. I wasn't shocked when I read this information; I think some educators use technology as a scape goat to teach material in which they should teach. Interaction with peers and teachers is, according to Piaget, one of the critical factors in students' development. Instead of drifting away from this to attempt to teach reading by using technology, I think guided reading is more effective. There are many reading strategies that could be implemented into the classroom instead of using software programs. Instead of expecting to use software programs to teach, I think teachers should focus on using them to reinforce or practice skills learned in the classroom. In contrast, I know there are some programs that may be beneficial to students and, if proven effective, should remain in the curriculum.

No comments: