Tuesday, May 8, 2007

23. Video helps overhaul district's curriculum

eSchool News
http://www.eschoolnews.org/news/showStoryts.cfm?ArticleID=7015

Baltimore County School District has placed video-on-demand in all of its 169 schools and the schools have formed teams of teachers to determine how the new system will best benefit the students. I think this is a great idea and would be very helpful for me because I am a visual learner. However, I do not agree that this is the new generation of visual learners. Although students are being stimulated more now than before through the constant utilization of television, computers, and video games, not all students learn visually. Theorists have supported the fact that students have various learning modalities and I think it is unreasonable to believe that every student will benefit from the implementation of video-on-demand. Although this will enhance and motivate learning from some, I think the school district should carefully plan the use of the system and avoid making it the primary reason for student's motivation to learn.

No comments: