Monday, May 7, 2007

14. Class projects: reading, rapping, history

The Boston Globe
“Class projects: reading, rapping, history”
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/03/`8/class_project_reading_rapping_history/

A teacher at Jackson Elementary School motivates students to learn about civil-rights leaders by allowing them to create raps and record them. Just like learning the ABCs, people tend to remember information better if they have a song to hum along with. For these students, this technique is definitely working out! Students say it encourages them to read more and is motivating. I agree 100% with this teacher; rapping about Rosa Parks would be much more memorable and effective than writing a paper. I have written numerous research papers but cannot recall any information that I wrote. However, in contrast, I created a rap about recycling to present to my chemistry class four years ago, as an alternative to a research paper, and I still have the beat and the words stuck in my head. Allowing students the opportunity to create music and present it is a great alternative to writing papers!

No comments: